2007-05-02

Scuzzbuckets, Evershot, Dorset


Scuzzbuckets play Evershot, Dorset
Originally uploaded by wetwebwork.

Evershot was great. Gary (bassist) and I caught a train down on Friday morning. This is after practicing Thursday night, and then me rushing off to catch a French band called 'Marvin' playing on a barge on the Thames near Vauxhall, who were amazing. They were a drummer, guitarist and the cutest French girl on Keyboards playing at a venue organized by a friend from work who put me on the guest list to see them play. And they rocked. A combination of heavy metal and jazz.

Then a few hours sleep and down to the studio/ex doctors surgery to pack all the gear in the van, see Simon (drums) off in a van, and then a lift from Gary's Mum to the station. Quick pint before we board the train. Two hours later we check in to a hotel in Yeovil (the closest we could afford to stay in near Evershot), when Simon and Jamie (singer) arrive, we head off to Evershot to set up.

The hall was something else. Old school play sets on stage, a bar out back, and if someone had set up a bake sale in the back of the hall it wouldn't have been out of place. Jamie and I head off to the nearest pub (an old local with a ten pin bowling lane and Polish staff, natch) because the singer and lead guitarist really shouldn't be worrying about the sound and lights and plugging stuff in. And we happen to be totally imcompetant and get in the way. But we'll learn. Who knows? One day there might be someone in a pub who can clue us in.


Fame!

Having learnt the hard way a week back playing the Inn On the Green in Ladbroke Grove, I know I can't play if I'm too wired, so I take it easy. Doesn't help the nerves, though. Especially as 'Something Blue' are playing great. The hall is fairly full, a strange mix off Mum's and daughters - including one in a prom dress - and local kids out for the night, as well as some old Jazz heads.

We're on for the middle set, and our meagre six song set is going to whip by. But we're on form, the kids are dancing and cheering, and the only song that trips me up slightly is AC/DC's 'Live Wire'. I just haven't got the timing on the opening nailed. And my finger's give out before the solo (we're playing the whole set at a faster tempo that normal). But when the set's over the kids are begging us too stay on; they've had their fill of blue's, I suspect. They even want to have a vote as to whether we stay on or 'Something Blue' come back. But I convince them that the next half will be great, and we get off.

And now I can drink!

No comments: