2007-05-04

Re-appraising the Gibson Les Paul


Another Gibson
Originally uploaded by wetwebwork.

My first guitar was a Les Paul copy by Hohner, which I subsequently did a Pete Townsend on playing at a party. I played Strats (no-name copies and Tokais) from that point on. Recently, when I finally had some cash, I bought a Fender Strat and then, after a long search, a Gibson Les Paul.

I took the Les Paul to Chandlers to be set up, and was gutted when they pointed out that not only was the neck no good, but that it had more twists than a series of Lost. I took it back to the shop, and after faffing around, they swopped it for another. The new one didn't have the beautiful tiger stripe finish of the first, a tone knob was loose, and I wished I'd bought a Tokia Love Rock instead. I wrote a scathing review of it on Harmony Central, and it sat unloved on a guitar stand.

Then the band came together, and hearing that there were Marshall stacks in the studio, I took the Les Paul down to try it loud. And I haven't played another guitar with the band since.

The sound through the Marshall amps is something to behold. Power chords crunch, the sustain is a long sexy scream that descends to a sexy sigh, and when you palm mute with your right hand you are a one man rythmn section waiting to rip loose. Would I buy another if it was lost? Tough decision. I'd look long and hard at the Tokia's. But I'll never finish a cover of 'My Generation' with it as Townsend does.

No comments: