2007-05-14

Solo songs



Gary emails over an mp3 of Elvis Costello's 'Pump It Up' as a possible song to cover, and so I hit the web to get the tab, lyrics and video and discover it's about masturbation. Which gets me thinking: it'd be amusing to do an entire set of songs at a gig that were dedicated to self pleasure. But I can only think of two others (The Vapors classic 'Turning Japanese' and Ivor Biggun's 'The Winking song (misprint)'), so I send out a request to the 'ilovedark' google group*, and here's some of the songs they've come up with. If you know of more, let me know!

Just to clarify: not songs you wank to (or have wanked to), or songs that sound like they're about wanking but obviously aren't. I'm after songs that artists have penned about the act itself.

Orgasm Addict - Buzzcocks
Violent Femmes – Blister in the Sun
Ivor Biggun - Wanking Your Blues Away
Ivor Biggun - Winking Song
Green day - Longview
Undertones - Teenage kicks
Billy Idol - Dancing with myself
Prince - Jack u off
Britney Spears - Touch of my hand

*a closed group for a place I used to work at. I suspect every company has a dodgy email list.

No comments: